Humberside Collegiate Institute's first quarterly Hackathon! All skill levels are welcome!
Welcome to Humberside Collegiate Institute's FIRST quarterly hackathon!
This event is brought to you by the HCI Codes club.
WHAT IS A HACKATHON?
A Hackathon is a coding rave that takes place over numerous days. Over the course of the event, participants will work on a project that is centered around a specific theme(s), participants may work in a team of up to 3, you may then submit your project for judging and potentially win awesome prizes! At almost all Hackathons there will be workshops hosted throughout the course of the event where highly qualified speakers will teach their audience about a specific concept! If this is your first Hackathon, do not shy away! HCI Hacks is a beginner-friendly event and we have many experienced people within the community that will help guide you towards success.
This Hackathon will be centered around helping the environment and healthcare!
All projects must be done from November 13th @ 3:45 pm to November 16th @ 11:45 pm. You are not allowed to start early!!
- The event will be held from November 13th, 2020 - November 16th, 2020
- Opening ceremonies and kick-off will be held on November 13th, 2020 @ 3:45 pm. These remarks will be recorded live and available for the duration of the event. After this event participants can start working on their project
- All entries must be submitted by November 16nd, 2020 @11:45 pm
- Winners will be announced on November 19th, 2020.
- As of right now, there will be no workshops hosted due to a lack of time and qualified speakers
All times are in EST
Making a Team
- Participants may work in a team of up to 3 people
- Only one team member should submit the project but make sure to add group members when submitting your project
- Find hackers to join your team or find a team looking for hackers in the "find-a-team" channel of the Discord
$100 in prizes
Amazon Echo Dot
Health Care Track Winner
TBD (Humerside Swag?)
Environmental Track Winner
TBD (Humerside Swag?)
General Track Winner
If a team wins a prize, they must nominate one group member to receive the prize as we do not have enough prizes to give each member. The team still wins the Hackathon but only one person will receive the prize.
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
- Currently enrolled at Humberside Collegiate Institute in Toronto
- If you are attending fully online school but attended Humberside in 2019-20, you are eligible
- Have a good attitude and spread positivity :)
WHAT AND HOW DO I SUBMIT?
By 11:45 pm on November 16th, registrants must have their project submitted. If you are not able to reach this deadline and have an almost-complete project, we will accept your submission the following day but make sure to talk to a board member on Discord or send an email to the event organizer.
Participants may start working on their project AFTER opening ceremonies on November 13th @ 3:45. Projects must be created during the time constraint of the hackathon.
A full project submission should contain at least all of the following:
- A 2-3 minute video demonstration of their project
- All source code via a link to GitHub or another repository. If you need help with this step please ask for help on the discord.
You do not have to make a software project, hardware projects may be submitted too.
Your project must incorporate one of the below themes
- The environment
- General (make anything you want)
If you need help with absolutely anything, do not hesitate to ask questions on the Discord or email the event organizer
HCI Codes Board
Originality and Creativity
Implementation of theme
If your project follows the general theme, ignore this criteria
- Social Good